Monday, April 11, 2005

Dictionary of Mountain Bike Slang

In the same way that different cultures have their own language and colloquialisms, sub-cultures also develop their own language.

I found an example of this in the form of the
'Dictionary of Mountain Bike Slang'. Some of the definitions are funnier than the actual terms.

Ones that tickled my funny bone include:
    auger v. to involuntarily take samples of the local geology, usually with one's face, during a crash.
    bacon n. scabs on a rider's knees, elbows, or other body parts.
    boing-boing n. a bike with full (front and rear) suspension. Might possibly be considered offensive by certain owners of said bikes.
    mandibular disharmony adv. how one's jaw feels when it and the handle bars attempt to occupy the same space and time. "Fuck!" "Pray, whats wrong?" "I've got mandibular disharmony."
    road rash n. contact dermatitis; an allergic reaction of skin to moving asphalt
    sharkbite n. the mark that your large chainring makes in your calf or other exposed body part when you fall
    trail mix n. the involuntary release of last night's dinner by the way it came in, usually with the assistance of too many adult beverages and accompanied by a long grinder
    wang chung n. what you might get when your stem has no nard guard

I experienced a bit of trail mix on a grinder yesterday... geez I need to work on my fitness a bit more. Although the run back down the said grinder was awesome, I reached 55 kmh before my tires decided to put me into a speed wobble, James reached 64 kmh.

No comments: