Sunday, June 12, 2005

"Toxic Big Brother"

This story on news.com.au talks about a recent episode of Big Brother un-cut where two house mates appeared to be having sex in a bath.

"Family groups" our outraged because apparently kids "have a chance of seeing this". Surveys show thousands of kids between 5 and 12 years of age watch BB un-cut at 9:40pm.

Now, I'm not a fan of the show myself, but seriously (pun intended), Channel Ten is showing this show at a time when kids of that age should be in bed. I remember as a child of that age I wasn't allowed to watch TV after 8:30pm without parental permission and supervision in most cases.

So once again: isn't it up to the parents to instill proper viewing discipline in the family? If necessary there are tools you can get that locks the TV at certain times of the day and requires a code to unlock.

While I'm not defending Channel Ten in any way for showing this kind of thing, I am once again dismayed that people seem to be missing the point of parental care giving.

*stepping off soap box*

No comments: