Saturday, September 24, 2005

Review of Apple's latest offerings...

iPod Nano and Rokr, BIG Disappointments:

This guy doesn't hold back, he lays the boot fairly hard but there is an explanation...
The newest Apple products have been the fodder of exciting rumors all over the internet. For the past few months, I have eaten up the hype as visions of new iPods danced in my head: cellular iPods and video iPods and iPods with cupholders and airbags! Now with the newest batch of Apple hardware coming out, I can decidedly tell you how they live up to all the fireworks and fanfare.

To be honest, I have had a love/hate relationship with Apple for many years now, and I find that I end up focusing on Apple's missteps and errors instead of things they have gotten right. I was enthusiastically looking forward to the Apple "special event" held in San Francisco this past September 7th. I was ready to put the grudge behind me, bury the hatchet if you will.

For months, we have been hearing about new products Apple would unveil. One is a cell phone from Apple and Motorola that includes an mp3 player. There are already mp3 playing cell phones on the market, but none that would be as potentially slick as a Motorola and Apple combination. Just think about the possibilities! Motorola, on the cutting edge of cell phone design with their sweet "Razr" phones (and soon to be released Slvr V8), paired with Apple, master of easy music software and interface technology.

For something to think that any Motorola phone is 'sweet' and/or 'cutting edge', they have to be on some form of drugs, and I want what he is having. If you have ever used a Moto phone, you will know exactly where I am coming from. If you own, or have owned, a Nokia phone you know how phone interfaces are supposed to work. Everything is laid out logically and the key lock is a simple key combo, not a PIN code. Nokia produces a nice intuitive interface. Every Motorola I have used requires a period of learning to find all your setting/mailboxes/contacts list. Even between Motorola products the interface is inconsistent.

So take what this guy says with a grain of salt. He is just bitter he didn't buy into Apple in the mid-90s when they were a dodgy company about to drop off the face of the planet. Before MS stepped in with some serious cash and returned Steve Jobs to run the joint.

No comments: