Monday, October 03, 2005

We've come a long way baby...

But it seems Linux still has a lot further to go.

Here is quite a good look into what is required to crate your own Linux based Home Theatre PC (HTPC). Sounds like a great way to go doesn't it? Well, have a read and you will learn that setting it up isn't as easy as it seems.

When Microsoft have a Media Center edition of Windows on the shelf ready to go, installs with the normal ease of XP and just works, the Linux solution shows itself as a toy for the technically minded who has either a lot of spare computer parts or a lot of spare cash (usually both).

I am starting to look at things like this for use in my new home theatre but I can see that PVRs that cost $900 now, will cost a lot less when I am ready to buy. I am also hoping that the next gen units will integrate with a wireless network for streaming of other media files not recorded from TV/Foxtel/CD.

No comments: