Wednesday, January 17, 2007

When is a toothbrush not a toothbrush?

When is it a multipurpose oral cleaning tool...

toothpaste

Yesterday I did some shopping and it was time to buy a new toothbrush. And do you think I could find a normal toothbrush?

The toothbrush shelves are packed with all kinds of monstrosities that are deisgned to clean your mouth better. Some have mini rubber pads on the back of the head so you can clean you tongue, some have extraeneous rubber blades to help get in between the teeth and massage your gums, others have extra large heads to help clean more effectively, some even whiten your teeth as you brush and there is even one where the bristles are arranged looking like crop circles...

I think the oral care industry is a lot like the razor industry. Always looking for more fantastic ways to sell what is basically a boring, single-function object. If it weren't for the fairly basic fixed size of the human mouth, I reckon we would have triple and quad heads on our toothbrushs.

As someone who has used more than his fair share of razors shaving his head every 2-3 days, I have used a fair range of different razors and to be honest the dual blade razor does just a good a job as the 4 blade razor. The trick is to get a decent brand where the edge won't dull as quickly. It must be cheaper to produce a 4 blade cheap razor than it is to make a really good quality twin blade razor. Plus you have the marketing mileage to be made from 4 or 5 blades...

3 comments:

Vlad said...

no kidding

Opinionnation said...

I have to say though, that I do love my Schick Quattro

J's Girlfriend said...

I have to say I disagree.. I bought an electric toothbrush years ago and have never looked back. Firstly, it cleans a hundred times better than a manual one. It's not just a marketing ploy. Secondly, once you get a new one, you can use the old one with a sex toy attachment! Reuse, recycle..

Also, try shaving half your intimates with a disposable bic razor and the other with a Mach3. Feel the difference. I rest my case. I'm not disputing that razors are waaaay overpriced, but expensive ones are better...