The Immigration Minister, Kevin Andrews, has released some sample questions from the citizenship test that will be used for potential immigrants from later this year. Some of the questions are complete no-brainers, but others I reckon most Aussies would be taking a guess at. Wouldn't it be great, immigrants will know more about Australia than the people born here.
Have a go at them and leave your score in the comments.
An exclusive insight into the likely content of a new 'Aussie values' test for potential Australian citizens which will come into effect later this year.
Sample questions devised by the Federal Government:
1. Which colours are represented on the Australian flag?
a. Green and yellow
b. Red, black and yellow
c. Blue, red and white
d. Orange and purple
2. Indigenous people have lived in Australia for ...
a. At least 40,000 years
b. About 8000 years
c. About 800 years
d. Less that 400 years
3. Australia's national flower is the ...
c. Kangaroo paw
4. Which is a popular sport in Australia?
a. Ice hockey
b. Water polo
d. Table tennis
5. Australia's political system is a ...
a. Parliamentary democracy
d. Socialist state
6. The Capital of Australia is...
7. Which animals are on the Australian Coat of Arms?
a. Wombat and echidna
b. Kangaroo and emu
c. Kangaroo and dingo
d. Lion and unicorn
8. Where did the first European settlers to Australia come from?
9. Who is Australia's head of state?
a. Prime Minister John Howard
b. Queen Elizabeth II
c. Governor General Michael Jeffery
d. Premier Steve Bracks
10. Who was the first Prime Minister of Australia?
a. Sir Edmund Barton
b. Sir Henry Parkes
c. John Curtin
d. Sir Robert Menzies
11. What song is Australia's national anthem?
a. God Save the Queen
b. Star Spangled Banner
c. Advance Australia Fair
d. Waltzing Matilda
12. What do you call the elected head of a state government?
d. Prime Minister
13. Which federal political party or parties are in power?
a. Australian Labor Party
b. Australian Democrats and the Australian Greens
c. National Party
d. Liberal Party and National Party
14. Which of the following are Australian values?
a. Men and women are equal
b. `A fair go'
d. All of the above
15. Australia's values are based on the ...
a. Teachings of the Koran
b. The Judaeo-Christian tradition
16. What does Anzac Day commemorate?
a. The Gallipoli landing
b. Armistice Day
c. The Battle of the Somme
d. Victory in the Pacific
17. In what year did the first European settlers arrive?
18. How many states are there in Australia?
19. Australian soldiers fought in ...
a. World War I and World War II
b. Korean War
c. Vietnam War
d. All of the above
20. What is Australia's biggest river system?
a. The Murray Darling
b. The Murrumbidgee
c The Yarra
d. The Mississippi
1) C, 2) A, 3) B, 4) C, 5) A, 6) D, 7) B, 8) C, 9) B, 10) A, 11) C, 12) B, 13) D, 14) D, 15) B, 16) A, 17) C, 18) B, 19) D, 20) A
I got 20/20, but I'm a nerd and actually listened when I went to school...